Saturday, December 30, 2006

Newspapers at the LoC

I went to the Library of Congress (Madison Building, Newspaper and Current Periodical Reading Room, LM-133) Thursday night, thinking I could access microfilm of the Akron Beacon Journal, but I had misread the Library's on-line catalogue and they didn't have any of the issues I was looking for. (Their collection begins in 1973.) So instead I looked through some issues of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and found death notices for Emma Beck (d 3 May 1910), wife of Thomas Henderson, and Annie Elizabeth Henderson (d 2 May 1942), wife of Daniel Charles Harris.
I looked very thoroughly for a notice of Thomas Henderson's death on 8 Jul 1888, but I could not find it. It makes me think this date might be wrong. The Plain Dealer at that time carried death notices in the same spot every week, and on some days it also had a list of deaths provided by the Board of Health. The Board of Health list appears in the Sunday, 8 Jul 1888, issue, but not in the Monday, 9 Jul 1888, issue, the issue in which one would expect to find the notice. The paper also carried obituaries at that time, but not in the same place every day.

The Reading Room did have WPA-produced bound indexes to the Akron Beacon Journal for 1929-1938 (AI21.A4) and the Cleveland Plain Dealer for 1933-1938 (AI21.C53), which I scanned briefly.

No comments: