Saturday, December 2, 2006

Peter Paul Huberty (1845-1920)

Peter Paul Huberty

Lately I have been exploring online newspaper archives. This weekend I discovered the Brooklyn Public Library's Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online, and found a large number of articles mentioning Peter Paul Huberty (1845-1920). Huberty (pronounced "Hue-berty" according to family lore) was born 3 Jan 1845, in Hosten, now in the municipality of Speicher, district of Bitburg-Prüm, in the Bundesländ (state) of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. He immigrated in 1867, and became a naturalized citizen. He was a teacher in Germany, and continued that occupation in the U.S. By the mid-1890's, had become a lawyer and was employed as the chief clerk of the Brooklyn Police Department. He weighed almost 300 pounds and spoke with an accent. He belonged to German social organizations, such as the Bushwick Democratic Club and the Arion Singing Society. He ran for Justice of the Peace in 1895, but was defeated. In 1899, he ran for County Clerk, and this time he won the election. The picture shown here is from the Eagle's 22 Oct 1899 review of candiates. He served the full two-year term. He died in 1919 or 1920.

His son, Ulrich J. Huberty (1876-1910), was an architect who designed a number of Brooklyn landmarks, such as the Grand Prospect Hall and the Boathouse at Prospect Park.

I also found obituaries for the Huberty's inlaws, Ulrich and Teresa Maurer, who died on 23 July 1882 and 28 August 1900 respectively. Their daughter, Rosa, married Huberty in 1870/1871.

2 comments:

Maria Schnell said...

I am the g-g-granddaughter of Katherine Huberty Masem, Peter Paul's sister. I would love to know more about this family, as well as share what knowledge I have. You can reach me at mariaschnell109@gmail.com

Maria Schnell said...

I am the g-g-granddaughter of Katherine Huberty Masem, Peter Paul's sister. I would love to know more about this family, as well as share what knowledge I have. You can reach me at mariaschnell109@gmail.com